Churches Together in Buxton
Churches Together in Buxton (CTiB) is made up of a wide variety of churches within the town, working together to share and celebrate the fact that our faith really is good news!
To view a pdf file of our Churches Together booklet, which includes information about all member churches and their services, click here.
With others, we want to see the community in Buxton as welcoming and caring; a place where everyone feels they can belong. We believe in “unity in diversity”, respecting our differences whilst not doing things individually which can be done better collectively. There is a greater blessing in unity – the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
We are affiliated to Churches Together in Britain and Ireland.
Along with ourselves, CTiB is currently made up of the following members:
Congregations within the Anglican Parish of Buxton:
- Christ Church, King Sterndale
- St Anne’s Church
- St Mary the Virgin
- Christ Church, Burbage
- St James’ Church, Harpur Hill
- Fairfield Methodist Church
- United Reformed Church, Hardwick Sq
- St. Peter’s Church of England, Fairfield
- St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church
- Church in the Peak
- Buxton Community Church
- The Peoples’ Church, Fairfield
- The Salvation Army (through The Hawthorns Nursing Home)
- The University of Derby Chaplaincy
- Chapter & Verse Christian Bookshop
CTiB meets in a forum about five times a year with representatives and clergy from its members. It also organises and supports the following:
- united services for: the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity; Good Friday; Christian Aid week; Pentecost; One World Week.
- a music group which helps with the above.
- courses during Lent involving a short service and discussion groups
- Lenten Lunches raising money for Christian Aid through a bread and soup lunch
- a Good Friday ‘Walk of Witness‘ through the town centre
- a range of activities and music during the Buxton Spring Fair on May Day, based here at the Buxton Methodist Church
- a town centre chaplaincy to shop workers
- an inter-church youth group
- monthly prayer evening to seek the Lord’s guidance and blessing on the work of CTiB and to pray in general for the town of Buxton – held at ‘Chapter & Verse’ (Buxton Christian Bookshop, 2-4 Market St) on the last Friday night of the month, from 8pm to 9pm
- ecumenical, weekly prayer morning every Tuesday, 9.15 – 9.45am at St Anne’s C-of-E Church (Bath Road)
- Open the Book school assemblies in a number of local infant and primary schools
- music scholarships for young organists and musicians
In addition, CTiB also supports the work of the Christian Aid Committee, the Buxton Town Team, High Peak Foodbank, Nightstop, the University Chaplaincy annual lecture and countless other events and outreach planned by individual churches or its member organisations.